CPIM PART 1
The basic concepts in managing the complete flow of materials in a supply chain from suppliers to customers are covered in the Basics module. This module covers manufacturing, distribution, service, and retail industries. This includes the fundamental relationships in the design, planning, execution, monitoring, and control that occur. Knowledge of the material in this module is assumed as a prerequisite for the other APICS CPIM modules, which cover similar topics in much greater depth.
- Understanding basic businesswide concepts, including understanding various supply chain environments
- Managing demand, including markets and customer expectations
- Designing products, processes, and information systems
- Understanding supply issues including inventory costs, functions, and metrics
CPIM PART 2
STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT OF RESOURCES
Move your learning to the next level through the SMR module that includes higher-level thinking or strategic planning and implementation of operations. This includes an understanding of how market requirements drive the resources and processes of an organization.
- Understanding concepts that require a combination of elements and higher thinking within the entire CPIM body of knowledge
- Knowing the relationship of existing and emerging processes and technologies to operations and supply chain functions
- Understanding various business environments
- Knowing how business strategies are developed and how operation strategies are implemented
MASTER PLANNING OF RESOURCES
Explore and be able to apply the principles of demand management, sales and operations planning, master scheduling, and distribution planning, and to identify conditions that require action. This module evaluates knowledge of both supply and demand planning for mid- to long-term independent demand.
- Recognizing all demands for goods and services to support the marketplace
- Bringing together all the plans for the business
- Disaggregating the production plan into an executable schedule
- Planning the distribution network and replenishment
DETAILED SCHEDULING AND PLANNING
Acquire a working knowledge of the tools and techniques for planning of inventory, including planning techniques such as MRP, CRP, lean, TOC, and projects. Understand the effect of using each technique; know standard measurements for inventory, materials, capacity and supplier performance; and recognize when to escalate issues.
- Managing inventory, planning material requirements, planning capacity requirements, and procurement and supplier planning
- Recognizing the importance of supply chain management and deploying supply chain strategies related to scheduling, planning, and sourcing
- Translating product-level plans and schedules generated at the master planning level into requirements that can be procured or produced
- Bridging the master planning area with the execution and control function
- Planning, scheduling, resource allocation, and implementing projects that are used to manage the supply of products and services
EXECUTION AND CONTROL OF OPERATIONS
Learn to translate plans into operational activities and define and apply techniquesin the operations field.
- Comparing actual output to plans and taking appropriate corrective actions
- Communicating ideas in a group setting and instructing others in tasks
- Creating operational solutions in the face of competing resources
- Explaining the release of work and reporting performance through data collection
- Understanding the execution of quality initiatives and continuous improvement plans
- Evaluating trade-offs and participating in design decisions